1. On this page, you can apply to the forthcoming Anglophone editions of the Jean-Pictet Competition (43rd and 44th editions).
The deadline for application is 15 October 2023, 17:00 UTC, if you want your application to be considered in the first phase; 8 November 2023, 17:00 UTC, for the second phase.
3. Applications must be written in English for candidates to the Anglophone session (43rd and 44th editions) and in French for candidates to the Francophone session (42nd edition). If, as a team, you are applying for both the Francophone and the Anglophone editions, you must complete a file in each of the two languages.
4. No data is stored online, so make sure you have all the required documents before you start entering data. In particular, you will need the following four documents:
- For each team member, a CV without an ID photo;
- A certificate signed by a person in charge in the University, written on the basis of the model available here.
Each of these four documents must be in pdf format and less than 800 Kb in size.
5. Please note the following:
- In some cases, pasting the answers to the three selection questions from a word processor while keeping the layout leads to exceed the limit to the number of words. Be careful not to exceed the maximum number of words and not to indicate anything (name of the University, names of the candidates...) that would make it possible to identify the answers to questions 1 and 2: they are evaluated anonymously.
- For step 2, indicate your full name exactly as it appears on the passport you will use when you travel. If you use a diminutive of your first name (for example Kate instead of Katherine, Micha instead of Mikhail...) and want it to appear as such on your badge and the list of participants, indicate it in the field provided for this purpose.
- The identity picture is not sent to the persons making the selection of the teams. It is necessary in order to create a badge in case of selection.
- Applicants over 30 years old at the time of application must request a waiver, preferably before applying (see article 4 of the Competition Rules).
- For steps 4, 5 and 6, you can enlarge the field for greater readability by "dragging" the lower right corner of the field concerned.
- The request for support from the Universality Fund, if needed, must be done when completing the application form.
- When you validate your application, you will receive a copy of all the information provided by email. Within 24 hours after your application, the Administrator of the Competition will confirm that the file is compliant. If you do not receive it, check the spam folder of your email and, if needed, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This page allows the three team members to sign online with the mouse, after having clicked on each of the four boxes. Should the three persons not be in the same location at the time of application, this template can be signed, scanned and uploaded instead.
We, the undersigned (names of the three candidates), representing (name of the university/institution) at the 2024 edition of the Jean-Pictet Competition:
1) For the selection procedure: the transmission of the application file in full or in part to the persons in charge of the selection procedure;
2) For the conduct and direct follow-up of the Competition:
- The transmission of the names and photographs of the participants necessary to enable them to be identified by the members of the jury, the Competition supervisors and the other participants;
- The very limited transmission of other sensitive data, which may be necessary for administrative or logistical reasons (in particular food constraints);
- The exchange of information between the members of the jury, tutors and the administration of the Competition for the preparation of reports on the performance of the team;
- The transmission of information to the designated contact persons within our university/institution;
- The transmission of necessary information in the context of the relationship with donors.
In November 1978, as an air force general, you had ordered dozens of planes to send incendiary devices over a large city on the territory of the enemy State. The city was surrounded by forests and most houses there were made of wood. Justify that decision since today you may face risks of prosecution before a national court. 1000 words maximum. Notes, if any, are to be included at the end of the text and the number of words in them is included in the total limit. (maximum 1000 words) - - - - NB: some users report that formatted text pasted from a word processor leads the word limit to be unduly exceeded. As a result, we strongly advise against formatting text. Footnotes, if any, must be copied as plain text at the end of the main part and hyperlinks must be kept as plain text.
Since the launch of the SpaceX Crew-7 mission on 26 August 2023, contact has been established with several extraterrestrial species. It turns out that these species have developed their own version of international humanitarian law. Notably, there is no notion of protection offered by the red cross emblem. Concerned by this situation, the legal advisor to the Space Defense Command is asking you whether this lack of protection afforded by the red cross emblem is prejudicial. And, if so, what solution could you propose in the event of a conflict? A memo of a maximum of 1000 words is expected. Notes, if any, are to be included at the end of the text and the number of words in them is included in the total limit. (maximum 1000 words) - - - - NB: some users report that formatted text pasted from a word processor leads the word limit to be unduly exceeded. As a result, we strongly advise against formatting text. Footnotes, if any, must be copied as plain text at the end of the main part and hyperlinks must be kept as plain text.
Why should your team be selected to participate in the Jean-Pictet Competition? (maximum 1000 words) - - - - NB: some users report that formatted text pasted from a word processor leads the word limit to be unduly exceeded. As a result, we strongly advise against formatting text. Footnotes, if any, must be copied as plain text at the end of the main part and hyperlinks must be kept as plain text.
The first two fields relate to Article 6 of the Regulations. The third field is simply intended to better understand the financial situation of the teams and is not used for selection purposes.
Request for support from the Universality Fund:
This part must be completed ONLY if you wish to obtain support from the Universality Fund and you complete the criteria set out in the Regulations of the Competition.
No further requests will be considered.